Long gone are the days of old-school overhead projectors and slider presentations. The latest projectors are capable of wireless connectivity, high definition images, and interactive interface and able to project several images at the same time by screen splitters.
However, if your oldie projector doesn’t have these advanced features but still you want to use it then no worries. But many latest models of laptops like the Macbook and others don’t have a VGA port that is used to connect the laptop to the projector. So the question arises, how to connect a projector to a laptop without a VGA port?
Thankfully, in this era of science and technology, we have the solution to almost every problem. You can connect both devices through an HDMI cable. An HDMI port is available on all laptops. But to connect the HDMI cable to the projector, a connector or converter is required.
However, with converter’s options like HDMI to VGA, VGA to HDMI, VGA to USB, and USB to VGA, what is the best choice and how to do it? Well, help is here. We have the complete guide on how to connect a projector to a laptop without a VGA port for you. So let’s just dive in and find the best solution according to your devices.
- 1 How to connect a projector to a laptop with a VGA port?
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
Using HDMI to VGA adapter
The first and the most important thing is that you need to use an HDMI to VGA adapter only. VGA to HDMI adapter might sound the same to you but they both work differently. Adapters and connectors work one-way only. So make sure that you use HDMI to VGA adapter as it can convert the video on one side only.
Also, these adapters and converters can support a video resolution of up to 1080p (1920×1080).
How to connect a projector to a laptop with a VGA port?
Below is the step-by-step guide to successfully connect your laptop to a projector without a VGA port with an HDMI to VGA adapter. Let’s begin:
- Make sure that your laptop and projector are both turned off.
- As the laptop does not have a VGA output so insert the HDMI to VGA adapter in the HDMI port of your laptop.
- Then, connect one end of the VGA port into the projector and the other end into the HDMI to the VGA adapter that is inserted in the laptop.
- Now plug in the projector to an electric outlet and turn it on.
- After that, turn on your laptop as well.
- Finally, if you are viewing any content that requires sound output then connect the audio outlet of the laptop to your projector or any other sound system.
If you want to know how to connect an Acer laptop to a projector with HDMI, then the same procedure goes for that.
Limitations of HDMI to VGA adapters
Although, these adapters are able to deliver the videos from laptops to projectors without a VGA port there are some limits to their usage. Let’s have a look at them.
- The adapter can convert and transfer the video signals only. It is not able to convert the video resolution. A typical HDMI supports 3820 x 2160 pixels but the VGA supports 800 x600 pixels only. If your video’s resolution is above the VGA-supported resolution, then the video signal will not be transferred via the adapter.
- If you are using a low-standard cable, like the ones below $10, it will disturb and lessen the video quality even more. This low delivery of video signals is not obvious in the slide presentations or image viewing. But it makes a clear degradation in displaying videos and movies.
- If you want to know how to connect a monitor to a laptop with VGA, then you will need separate adapters.
Problems you might face while using HDMI to VGA adapter
In this time of HDMI connectivity that can deliver high resolution, the Video Graphics Array (VGA) is outdated to transfer video signals between devices. As it can deliver only a certain resolution, so users have to compromise on the video quality. In addition, the VGA cables can crash more often due to their old technology and create problems more than often.
Another problem is that you get the video output only with the basic adapters. For audio output, you need another audio cable to deliver the sound, which creates an irksome task, and more problems associated with it.
While compromising on the video quality and audio output, the pocket-friendly adapters tend to crash more often. An additional expense is buying another low-priced or high-quality adapter is heavy on the pocket and a hassle at the same time.
Do some people want the answer to how to connect a Goodee projector to a laptop? Well, the procedure is the same as listed above for most of the projectors with VGA ports.
1. Can I connect my laptop with the USB cable to the projector?
Yes, you can connect your laptop to the projector to deliver audio and video output via USB but there are certain conditions. A 2.0 USB cable is considered ideal for this purpose.
2. How to connect a laptop to a projector without HDMI?
A laptop can be connected to a projector without HDMI too. For this purpose, turn off both devices. Connect both ends of the video cable in them. Then turn on the devices. Connect the audio port to the audio system and then synchronize the laptop and projector using the Fn key.
3. Is HDMI to VGA is the same as VGA to HDMI?
No, they are not the same as they convey different formats of information. HDMI is a digital standard and VGA is an analog standard.
4. How to connect a projector to a laptop wireless?
Yes, you can connect a laptop to a projector wirelessly but you have to connect a wireless dongle to the projector to receive signals.
If you have a tablet then learn how to connect a tablet to a projector in a few easy steps here.
Now you do not need to fidget to connect your HDMI laptop with no VGA port to your oldie projector with VGA port only. As now you know that how to connect a projector to a laptop without a VGA port? Just follow the step-by-step guide and connect your devices using adapters and converters. The job can be done with low-priced converts and adapters too, but it is better to invest in excellent quality for high-end output quality.